Beets are used to prepare first courses, side dishes, salads, and even desserts. This unique vegetable retains its beneficial properties throughout the year. It is important to know how to cook dishes from it, how much to cook this root vegetable and how to do it quickly and with maximum benefit.
The nutritional value of beets
This amazing vegetable, without exaggeration, can be called a home pharmacy. It benefits all systems and organs of man:
- Strengthens all vessels - large and smallest. Makes their walls flexible, normalizes blood pressure, and helps prevent stroke, atherosclerosis, and vascular spasms.
- Due to the potassium, folic acid and antioxidants contained in beets, it has a beneficial effect on the functioning of muscles, including the heart.
- For people suffering from diabetes, it is important to know that zinc, which is rich in root crops, increases the duration of insulin.
- Improves the work of the stomach and intestines, cleanses the body of toxins.
- Rejuvenating effect on the body, well absorbed, with almost no contraindications.
- Beets are also useful for overweight people, because its calorific value is small - up to 45 kcal per 100 grams of product.
How to choose a vegetable and prepare it for cooking
The most important quality of beets in cooking is the degree of its sweetness. It ripens at the end of July. Grated young beets are very tasty and healthy. In salads, you can even eat it raw.
When choosing a root crop, you need to pay attention to the following:
- Beets should be of the correct form, free from defects and mold, tight to the touch.
- Do not take large beets: it is easy to confuse it with fodder. And when growing such root crops, various harmful chemicals are often used. On the section of these vegetables, various inclusions are visible, inside they have an uneven color.
- Beets are most quickly cooked up to 10 cm in diameter in a cylindrical or flattened shape.
- Preference should be given to fruits with a thin skin.
- The color of the vegetable does not matter. It can be white, yellow, purple or ruby. Almost all table beet varieties are equally useful. But if you are poorly versed in the varieties of vegetables, then it is better to choose red or maroon beets with dense pulp.
Before cooking, the root crop must be washed well. You can even soak it for a while at first. And then gently wipe with a brush or sponge so that the skin remains intact.
The tail and the remains of the tops before cooking do not need to be removed. It is also not worth trimming corrupted places, these vegetables are cooked whole.
How to cook beets in the microwave
Beets are best cooked in a stainless steel or aluminum pan. The size of the container should be such that water completely covers each vegetable.
Often, along with beets, you need to cook other vegetables (for example, for vinaigrette). It is important to remember that carrots and potatoes are digested quite quickly. They need to be taken out before the beets.
How to quickly cook beets using kitchen devices
There are several ways to cook beets using various kitchen appliances. These technologies are different in time when the vegetable comes to readiness, while maintaining the maximum amount of useful components.
In the pan: method one
Cooking time can be reduced by half, against the usual, using this technique:
- you need to boil not very large beets for 30-40 minutes;
- then place it in ice water;
- if the vegetable is still not ready, then it should be put in a pan filled with cold water, and then re-cook for another 15 minutes;
- then cool again.
In the pan: method two
You can quickly get boiled beets by putting it in boiling water for half an hour with the addition of a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil.
In the pan
Beetroot soup is often stewed in a pan. Before this, it is cut into cubes or a large tinder on a grater. You need to cook such vegetables under the lid for 10-20 minutes.
In a slow cooker
- The first way. Water is poured into the bowl to the bottom mark. Set the mode "Steam" and cook for 40 minutes.
- The second way. In this case, the beets are completely filled with water, closed with a lid and the “Soup” or “Cooking” mode is set on the device. The preparedness of the vegetable comes in an hour.
- In a slow cooker. In a bowl where the beets are cooked, pour a multi-glass (160 ml) boiling water. Set the steam mode. Time to readiness - half an hour.
In the microwave
Prepared vegetables are placed in a bowl or plastic bag. Before this, beets are pierced through a couple of dozen times.
No water is added. At maximum power, it takes about 10 minutes to cook.
In the oven
Here the vegetable is not cooked, but baked. Most often it is wrapped in foil and baked at 180 degrees an hour and a half. Sometimes salt or even salt mixed with crude protein is used instead of foil. At the same time, beets are rolled in such a mixture.
To make the beetroot cooking process as quick and useful as possible, you need to know some of the nuances of this process:
- Cooking should always end with cooling vegetables to make them easier to peel.
- It is not necessary to leave them for a long time after cooking in cold water so that beneficial substances do not pass there.
- Salting vegetables during cooking should not be, because it does not affect the taste, but the cooking time increases. And the root crop, cooked in salt water, becomes hard.
- You can’t peel the beets before cooking, if you have done so, to preserve the color of the vegetable, add lemon juice or vinegar to the water.
- The crust of bread will help to soften the smell of beets boiled in a pan.
- The readiness of the vegetable is checked with a toothpick or fork.
- In the beetroot broth, many useful substances are preserved, so you can make a drink similar to kvass from it.
We also offer you to learn about the secrets and options for making vinaigrette.
Terms and rules of storage
- Unpeeled cooked beets can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 3 days, and peeled beets - 48 hours. It is better to put it in a plastic bag.
- If you cool the root crops, and then send them to the freezer, you can store them for several months. Thawed vegetables should not be re-frozen. There will be no benefit from them.
- You can not store boiled beets for more than 3 hours in the room: it dries up and loses most of vitamin C.
- Dried vegetables, diced into small cubes, can be stored in bags or jars for up to 6 months at a temperature of up to 20 degrees. At the same time, you need to constantly check whether mold has appeared on them.
How to cook beets quickly
Beetroot has been known in Russia since ancient times. It is used in cooking, in traditional medicine, and even in cosmetology. Beetroot dishes are varied, healthy and tasty. And if you know some secrets of its quick cooking, then preparing this unique root crop will be easy and not too troublesome.