Strawberry "Kupchikha" is the newest variety obtained by the famous breeder S. D. Aitjanova at the Kokinsky stronghold of VSTISP. Garden strawberry, or zemklunik, "Merchant" belongs to the category of the second generation of this berry crop and is completely devoid of varietal shortcomings such as low productivity, small fruition, and excessive mustache formation.
Advantages and disadvantages of “dredging”
Description of the variety, or rather - the characteristic of the interspecific hybrid "Merchant", allows to appreciate many advantages:
- the presence of a spicy-nutmeg aroma and sweet, with a slight harmonious acidity of the pulp;
- excellent winter hardiness;
- absolute undemanding care;
- the presence of complex immunity to many diseases;
- stable and high productivity regardless of weather factors;
- if the terms of timely collection are not respected, there is no shedding and decay of the berry;
- the presence of a dense texture of ripe pulp makes the crop transportable;
- the possibility of universal use of the harvested crop;
- high decorative indicators of berry plantations.
The hybrid form has appeared relatively recently on household plots, but has already managed to get the highest possible ratings and positive reviews from not only beginners, but also experienced gardeners, as well as farmers who grow berry crops for sale on the market.
Description of the variety and characteristics of garden strawberries
Strawberries called "Merchant" forms aesthetic, elongated-oblong berries with a length of about 6-7 cm. The color of ripe berries is very attractive, ruby-burgundy, with a purple "tan." The average weight of marketable berries is not more than 18−25 g. Under the conditions of standard technology of cultivation and proper care, the yield reaches 300-310 g from each berry bush.
Bushes are powerful, tall and stately, with very beautiful wide leaves. Flowering is always plentiful. White flowers are located on sturdy, nonpenetrating peduncles. Berry plants have ternate leaves of bright green color. On average, one adult bush accounts for about fifteen peduncles.
Yield indicators practically do not depend on weather conditions in the region of berry crop cultivation. In addition, the hybrid form is not affected by powdery mildew and is immune to gray rot. Reproduction of the berry hybrid is simple, since the plant forms a sufficient number of whiskers.
Strawberry Merchant: Harvesting
For a good harvest of strawberries "Tradeswoman" you need to carefully prepare the site for planting this berry crop. In the process of deep digging of the soil, it is necessary to add organic matter and basic mineral fertilizers, including 5-6 kg of rotted manure, about 15-20 g of ammonium nitrate, 20-25 g of superphosphate and a glass of wood ash per square meter of planted area. A worthy replacement for simple mineral fertilizers can be nitrofoska or nitroammophoska at the rate of 65 g per square meter of strawberry ridges.
In the soil and climatic conditions of central Russia, strawberries "Kupchikha" can be planted in two periods: in early spring, from the first decade of May to mid-June; in the autumn period, from about the second decade of August to mid-September.
Earlier or too late planting can provoke the death of berry stands. When planting berry seedlings, it is required to ensure that the growth point, or the so-called heart, is located at the same level with the soil surface.
It is important to remember that the dredge forms lush bushes, therefore it is necessary to plant it spaciously, which will allow plants to provide an optimal nutrition area and improve lighting. Too thickened berry plantings cause a decrease in yield. Seedling material is recommended to be planted in a checkerboard pattern or two-row method, with a row distance of at least 40 cm.
A strawberry called "Merchant" is not too demanding to care for, but The technology of proper cultivation involves the use of the following agricultural techniques:
- the soil between the rows should be regularly loosened, cleaned of weeds and maintained in an optimally wet state, using organic mulching of berry plantings;
- it is recommended to grow dredges in the same area for no more than four years, after which the yield indicators and the fruiting period are reduced;
- it is necessary to feed the dredger in a fairly moderate mode, since excessive application of nitrogen-containing fertilizers makes plants fatten heavily at the expense of yield;
- any top dressing must necessarily be supplemented with abundant waterings, which are especially important at the flowering stage and in the phase of ovary formation;
- one of the conditions for obtaining the highest and highest quality crops is the timely and competent removal of mustaches;
- a high level of resistance to diseases most dangerous for berry crops reduces the number of preventive treatments for berry stands.
Zemklunika refers to berry crops with a hybrid origin, which suggests a significant splitting of characters. It is for this reason that it is necessary to plant dredges exclusively with seedlings.
Tips and reviews of gardeners
According to most gardeners, the merchant’s dairy farmer’s berry sizes are close to the average of wild strawberries and reach about 20–25 g with proper care. for making berry desserts. Berries have proven themselves as raw materials for drying and making fruit and berry tea.
Strawberry: spring care
The indisputable advantages of this hybrid form include almost 100% fruit setting, as well as excellent indicators of winter hardiness and frost resistance. In addition, berry plantations practically do not suffer from the most common diseases, which helps to reduce the negative chemical effect on the crop.