Strawberry "Black Prince" is currently only gaining popularity in Russia, and the description of this variety of garden strawberries is not very well known in our country. Nevertheless, the characteristics and varietal features make it possible to classify garden strawberries under the name "Black Prince" as promising in home gardening in most regions of our country.
Description and features of the variety
Strawberry "Black Prince" is large in size, has the shape of a truncated cone and a dark red, almost black surface. Characterized by sufficient one-dimensionality. Fully ripened pulp has a bright red color, very juicy, sweet and sour taste. Berries without the presence of an inner void, with a rich strawberry aroma.
The harvested crop is suitable for long-term transportation and long-term storage, subject to a favorable temperature regime and optimal humidity indicators. The characteristics of the medium-ripening cultivar are high marketability indicators.
The advantages of the variety include long periods of fruiting. Yields are also quite high and reach 1 kg from one productive bush. The harvest is classified as universal use, as it is suitable not only for fresh consumption, but also for making jam, jams, liquor and homemade berry wine.
Bushes of large size, with dense foliage. Form the average number of thickened mustache. The rates of urination are declining annually. The leaves are medium in size, dark green in color, with pronounced gloss, slight wrinkling. The viability and high productivity of berry bushes exceed six to seven years, and the duration of berry formation increases annually, as the plants grow older.
How to plant strawberries
Causes of leaf color change
Strawberry varieties "Black Prince" is usually attributed not only to very productive, but also possessing fairly high rates of resistance to varieties. However, when growing this berry culture in a home garden, both experienced and novice gardeners may encounter the problem of changing the color of the leaves. There are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- yellowness on strawberry leaves quite often is the result of a lack of soil in the area of growing nitrogen-containing components or magnesium;
- significant yellowing of strawberry leaves is also observed as a result of the disease of berry plantings with non-infectious chlorosis, and for treatment it is enough to carry out foliar feeding of the berry culture with any iron-containing agents and further irrigate the area with exclusively warm water;
- a fairly common cause of yellowness on strawberry leaves is the defeat of plants by a viral disease - xanthosis or mosaic, which is spread when used for planting infected planting material, in addition, it can spread through the berry plantations as a harmful pest - aphids;
- if reddish-brown spots appear on the leaves, after which the leaves brighten and acquire a bright border, then, most likely, the plant is affected by brown leaf spot.
The reddening of leaves on strawberries as the autumn period approaches is an absolutely natural process. However, the appearance of redness in the form of various-sized spots on the leaves of strawberries is the first sign of the defeat of the fungal disease septoria, or white spotting. Redness can be caused by growing a berry culture on too acidic soils, which is easily corrected by liming the soil with dolomite flour.
Causes of leaf drying out
If strawberry bushes of the "Black Prince" variety have lost turgor, withered or dried up, then the reason may lie in insufficient watering or rare watering. As a rule, this situation is observed at the stage of active growth of green mass and after fruiting. In addition, the causes of drying of strawberry leaves can be:
- getting the root system of strawberry bushes damage as a result of damage to the berry stands by bears or moles;
- lesions of garden strawberry bushes with fusarium, phytosporous or verticillous wilting, as well as various root rot.
It is often quite timely to carry out preventive spraying of strawberry bushes with modern insecticidal preparations and correctly regulate the regime of irrigation measures at all stages of the berry culture.
Strawberry watering should be carried out in the morning or in the evening, directing a stream of water directly to the root system of the plant and preventing moisture from entering the leaves. For irrigation events, exclusively warm water, warmed in the sun, is used.
During flowering, the bushes should be sprayed with a 0.025% zinc sulfate solution. To protect strawberry plantations from spotting, it is recommended that the plants be treated with a solution of Bordeaux liquid and copper chlorine oxide. As a rule, during one vegetative season three to four sprays are used.
Tips and reviews of gardeners
Strawberries under the very original name "The Black Prince", according to gardeners, demonstrates excellent winter hardiness in home gardening. It should be borne in mind that the level of drought tolerance is quite average, therefore, berry plantings throughout the entire growing season require the most regular watering.
Strawberry: pruning in spring
The variety, according to experienced gardeners, has sufficient resistance to many of the most common diseases, but is very susceptible to damage by a transparent strawberry mite. In the last decade of October, quite often there is a defeat of the berry plantings of this variety by spotting, which requires a careful and regular inspection of the stands and the timely conduct of all necessary preventive and protective measures.