The types and varieties of spathiphyllum grown in culture are so diverse that it is simply impossible to list them all. The size of this plant can vary from 30-40 cm to 1.5 m. The color of the leaves can be variegated, dark green, and speckled. The flower of spathiphyllum is always snow-white, only some species have green stripes. Its shape is also characteristic: a vertically spaced spad of many small nondescript flowers, next to which there is a single bract of leaf-shaped form, approximately twice as long as the spad.
The popular name of the flower, rooted in our country, is "female happiness." It is believed that the plant fulfills the hopes of the beautiful half of humanity for a successful marriage or the birth of a child, if for some reason its birth is delayed. In some cases, the necessity of acquiring red spathiphyllum ("male happiness") is also specified to make the desired event finally happen.
Spathiphyllum for office or home
In the halls of public buildings, in office premises, you can sometimes see the South American species - royal spathiphyllum, or spoon-shaped. This is a real giant among relatives: its height can reach 1.5 m, and the size of the sheet plate - up to 40 cm. The color of the cob is white at the beginning of flowering and cream to its end. A white constantly concave blanket can reach a size of about 50 cm, by the end of flowering it changes its color to light green.
Such a plant can take up a lot of space in a small room, but this is not a reason to deny your own female happiness: there are many varieties of spathiphyllum modest in size (from 50 to 70 cm). And even the smallest housing will always be able to decorate a miniature spathiphyllum flower with a size of 15-30 cm. It is a spathiphyllum abundantly blooming and Wallis, as well as numerous breeding varieties and variegate forms based on it.
When purchasing a spathiphyllum flower in a store, you should ask the seller what sizes an adult plant can reach.
How to choose a suitable "female happiness"?
How to transplant spathiphyllum
Long flowering babies
Compact spathiphyllum grows by only 15-40 cm. With high humidity and air, these babies are able to bloom without interruption throughout the year. The most common types are:
- Variety Chopin (sometimes called "chopin") is derived from the type of Wallis. Spathiphyllum "Chopin" has dense glossy leaves of dark green color with lighter indented veins. Fragrant, with a delicate smell of lily, the flower consists of a creamy cob and a white bedspread. In bright light, the back of the bedspread may be greenish. When the cob fades, the entire bract becomes green and loses its decorative effect. Peduncles with such flowers are best removed from the plant in time, cutting them to the level of the leaf petiole that fits the stems below. This provokes the formation of new flowers emerging from the sinuses of other leaves.
- Spathiphyllum dominoes refers to variegated forms. This means that, thanks to a special infection of the flower with the variegated virus, it has unevenly colored foliage. Even at a time when there are no flowers on the plant, it looks elegant and exotic: the leaves have many small dots and strokes from dark green to white. Sometimes spathiphyllums come across with a bluish pattern. The main requirement for the care of such forms is the observance of lighting conditions, because in bright light the leaves lose all their beauty, becoming ordinary green. The height of the "dominoes" reaches 30 cm.
- Spathiphyllum profusely flowering named so not in vain. Compact bushes (25-35 cm) can be constantly covered with a large number of snow-white flowers. Young foliage usually has a lighter shade, which gives the plant additional charm.
If the room allows, you can choose larger varieties.
Mid-sized home varieties
Among modern forms, among them we can especially distinguish variety "picasso" with spotty leaves, 50-60 cm high. Unlike dominoes, white areas occupy half of the leaf, are arranged in the form of large single spots. Often the sheet may be completely discolored. For this form, bright but diffused lighting is desirable.
Spathiphyllum Alana differs from others in its always upward-pointing ends of leaves. Both young and old foliage do not fall under their own weight throughout their life. The surface of the plate is dense, with a noticeable brilliance. The height of the bush rarely exceeds 50 cm, which allows it to grow in small rooms.
You can distinguish the blossoming Alan variety by the color of the bract: the white veil has a convex vein on the reverse side. This vein in this species is colored green, starting from the growth and bloom of the flower. As it blooms, the greens spreads over the entire area of the bract, as in other species.
Dutch breeders did not stop at the invention of varieties of "female happiness" with variegated leaves: there are forms with colored bedspreads. On sale you can find varieties:
- Flower spathiphyllum cupid - with gracefully curved long bedspreads. Their tips have a green color of different intensities from the very beginning of flowering. Foliage of usual dark green color.
- Variety gemini differs in oval bracts with a pointed tip. A feature of this plant is the mottled color of the entire surface of the bedspread, as shown in the photo. Large and small spots of all shades of green on the leaves give the flower a resemblance to the domino variety.
Spathiphyllum: cultivation and care
Among the great variety of varieties of spathiphyllum, there was no "male happiness" with red flowers. The fact is that sometimes trade organizations artificially color flowers by introducing special dyes into the plant. Such a flower at home will bloom with ordinary white flowers. But "male happiness" still exists: often the Anthurium is often called by that name. It has a similar flower structure (there is both an ear and a bedspread) and is most often colored bright red. The conditions for keeping spathiphyllum and anthurium are similar, so it’s quite possible to grow both “female” and “male happiness” so that peace and quiet reign in the family.