Cherry "Lyubskaya" is a classic variety of national domestic selection, which makes it very popular among gardeners in our country. Description of the variety is of interest to gardeners of the middle strip and the southern regions of our country.
Cherries from the Lyubskaya variety have a rare combination of early maturity, consistently high yields and excellent technological advantages, in particular large and beautiful berries. The plant enters the fruiting phase in the third year after planting and is able to quickly increase yield. The maximum fruiting occurs in the tenth year after planting.
The average height of the tree is two and a half meters. Crohn's plants are rare, wide and spreading. Flowering is medium late and lasts for a week. The average life span of a tree is 17 years.
Mass ripening occurs in the last decade of July or early August depending on the region of cultivation. A high level of frost resistance of flower buds contributes to the consistently high and annual fruiting of the tree. To achieve the highest possible yield, cherries of this variety must be provided with enhanced nutrition. The plant is characterized by a high degree of self-fertility, which allows the cultivation of Lyubskaya cherries in single-sorted orchards.
Berries are not prone to shedding. Cherries are formed of medium and large size with a mass of 4 grams. The shape of the berries is round, with a slight cordiality. Coloring is dark red. The pulp is red, juicy, with a pleasant gentle sweet and sour taste. The variety is most often used for processing and is ideal for cooking jam, as well as used in winemaking and suitable for quick freezing.
Among the advantages of the variety are the following features:
- high level of productivity, allowing you to collect about 30 kilograms of fruit from each tree;
- low tree height, making it easier to care for and harvest;
- good keeping quality and transportability of berries.
The disadvantages of the variety include:
- insufficient frost resistance;
- quite frequent infection with fungal infections;
- high acidity of berries, limiting their fresh use;
- the tendency of wood to severe freezing in the winter;
- susceptibility of bark on the stem and branches to sunburn.
The Lyubskaya cherry variety is prone to kidney mutations. Plants resulting from this process differ in appearance, as well as in terms of ripening, yield and quality of berries. The most famous varieties are "Lubskaya Late", "Lubskaya Harvest" and "Lubskaya Bouquet".
Cherry: planting and care
Landing and care
Insufficient frost resistance makes the variety suitable for cultivation in the middle lane and southern regions of Russia. When grown in the northern regions, cherries of this variety very often freeze in the winter.
The first rule that must be observed when planting seedlings is that you do not need to add lime and nitrogen fertilizers to the planting hole. These nutrients can cause irreparable harm to the root system of the plant. The hole should be prepared a month before planting.
To plant well rooted, you must perform the following steps:
- Drive a peg into the center of the landing pit.
- Place a fertile planting mixture in the center of the hole, placing it with a cone around a driven peg.
- Lower the seedling and gently spread its root system.
- Make sure that the root collar is at the level of the planting soil or 3 centimeters higher.
Particular attention should be paid to the following points:
- cherry seedlings are very difficult to tolerate an in-depth planting;
- the stem part of the seedling should be located on the northern part of the peg;
- the seedling should be planted exactly vertically;
- sprinkling the root system with soil, it is easy to slam the soil;
- around the landing hole you need to make an earthen roller;
- seedling should be watered in the amount of one bucket.
After planting, it is recommended to mulch the soil around the trunk of the seedling using humus or peat, and then gently tie the seedling on a peg.
Watering and feeding
The main feeding should begin at the stage of fruiting the cherry. The fertilizer application rate is selected in accordance with the condition of the plant, as well as its age. Organic dressing is carried out once every two years. For this purpose, rotted manure or high-quality compost is used. In the autumn, phosphorus and potash fertilizers should be applied. In the spring, it is important to carry out nitrogen fertilizing.
In the growing season should be two feeding. The first is carried out immediately after flowering, and the second is made ten days after the first. Fertilizing is carried out in the near-stem circle for young plants and throughout the planting area for already adult plants.
If the soil acidity is too high, soil should be liming with dolomite flour and lime. A good result is demonstrated by the application of conventional wood ash.
The main and most plentiful watering occurs in the period after the plant has flowered, which can improve the nutrition of fruits. High-quality and proper watering involves moistening the soil half a meter in depth.
Essential Care Activities
- Abundant irrigation at the stages of shoot formation, flowering and ripening of berries, as well as in dry and hot weather. The amount of water should be at least 30 liters per plant.
- Carrying out the last, water-charging irrigation of the plant in the last decade of September with the introduction of phosphorus-potassium fertilizers.
- Spraying a solution of honey at the flowering stage to attract pollinating insects.
- Three-time loosening of the soil around the trunks in summer.
- Shallow loosening of the ground under the cherry two to three times per season.
- Mulching plants in early spring using compost or sawdust.
Of great importance is the qualitative formation of the crown of the plant. It should be remembered that elongated plants that have an incorrectly formed crown during trimming contribute to excessive shading of the area.
From the beginning of planting, pruning should be carried out, which allows to direct the growth of the crown of the seedling not in height but in width. This formation facilitates the rooting of the plant. Even before the moment of mass blooming of the kidneys, pruning should be performed, in which the extra, as well as diseased and weakened branches are cut off. Root shoots are also subject to removal.
We also suggest that you learn about the varietal features of the Morozovka cherries.
Diseases and Pests
The first protective measures should be carried out in the spring. For this purpose, an aqueous solution of urea is used, which allows you to destroy overwintered plant pests. Any wounds on the bark, the depth of which is more than a centimeter, should be treated with a 1% solution of copper sulfate, followed by glossing over with garden var.
Against caterpillars and most other pests, spraying with preparations containing copper can be used. The use of special hunting belts gives a good result. In case of massive pest or disease, it is recommended to use effective chemical insecticides.
How to prune a cherry
Proper care of cherries of the Lyubskaya variety guarantees a high yield of the plant. And deliberately planting and pruning trees, you can also decorate the summer cottage with neat garden plantings.