Grape juice is known to everyone as a storehouse of vitamins and various trace elements. But this tasty and healthy drink, due to the high concentration of such substances, causes allergies in some people. Stewed compote from grapes, due to heat treatment, loses some of the nutrients, but it does not cause allergies.
Features of the selection and preparation of grapes for conservation
For harvesting for the winter, large, fleshy and ripe grapes with dense pulp are suitable. It should feel a pleasant "sourness." The color of berries for winter harvesting is not fundamental. In a compote of light grapes to improve its color, you can add other fruits and berries of a contrasting color, cherry leaves or mint.
Grapes should be whole and not spoiled by rot. Before putting them in jars, you need to wash them and wait until the water drains. You can also dry them by spreading them on clean paper or cloth.
Stewed grapes for the winter
The best recipes for grape compote without sterilization
There are many recipes mentioned preparations for the winter. We will talk about the most successful of them.
From white grapes
For every kilogram of berries you need 300 g of sugar and 700 g of water. First, the berries are laid out in jars and carefully poured with boiling water under the very neck. In the container you can add vanilla, mint, lime or lemon. The containers covered with lids wrap well and allow them to stand for half an hour. Then the water from them is drained through special covers with holes. The right amount of sugar is added to it and completely dissolved, stirring. After that, fill the cans with boiling syrup and roll them up.
It is prepared in the same way as the preparation of individual berries. The proportions of sugar and water may vary slightly depending on the grape variety. For the popular Isabella variety, for example, it's a glass of sugar per liter of water. In a three-liter container, 2-3 berry clusters are placed, which fill it in two-thirds of the volume.
With apples, sliced
The combination of grapes and apples is very harmonious, this compote has a very beautiful color. You can make compote with apples, cut into slices, or you can close them with whole ones. In the first version, the following proportions of ingredients are observed: 200 grams of grapes, 1 apple, a quarter cup of sugar and 1.3 liters of water. Seedless apples and grapes are placed in jars. On top of the fruit is covered with sugar, and then pour boiling water.
With whole apples
For a three-liter capacity you need 2-3 apples and 3 glasses of grapes. First, apples are laid, and then grapes are covered. All this is poured with boiling water. And then follow the same technology as in the first recipe.
Such a compote is made from an equal amount of grapes and plums. Sugar in this case needs about a quarter of the volume of berries. It is important to note that it is better to remove seeds from plums, because they have substances harmful to humans that accumulate during prolonged storage of winter blanks. If you are not going to store the drink for too long, then the seeds can not be removed. Next, the process of making compote coincides with the recipe number one.
With plums and nectarine
In this case, a three-liter jar needs 15 plums, 2 nectarines, a glass of grape berries and a half glass of sugar. Bones from plums and nectarine are removed.
This recipe is very simple to prepare, as it contains several preservatives. For 1.5 kg of berries in this case you need a glass of four percent vinegar, a half-liter jar of honey, a little cinnamon and a couple of cloves.
The berries laid in a jar are poured with honey syrup. It is prepared from all of the above ingredients, which are mixed and boiled for several minutes, carefully separating the foam formed during this. In a jar of berries and honey syrup, pour boiling water and twist it.
We also offer you to learn about the secrets of making wine from Isabella grapes.
Cooking and storage tips
- Compote jars should be pre-steamed and dried upside down. The covers should be lowered for several minutes in boiling water and dried too.
- If you are afraid that the type of compote can spoil the branch that has fallen off, then you need to cut off its thickened part.
- The grape contains a natural preservative - grape acid, so you should not put a lot of sugar in the compote. From its excess, the properties of this natural preservative deteriorate.
- Jars with compote should be wrapped up before its final cooling. Gradual cooling of the product ensures its best preservation.
- After returning to its normal position, a little foam will surely appear in the upper part of the winter blank. In hermetically sealed containers, it soon disappears. If this does not happen, then it is worth listening to whether the bank makes strange sounds. Hissing or tapping in it is a sure sign that this container is not tightly closed. In this case, you will have to boil the contents of the jar and close it again.
- Compote is stored in a cool place. Periodically, you need to check its quality.
- The drink is very concentrated. When opening it should be diluted with water approximately in half.
How to harvest grapes for the winter
In the winter cold, aromatic, tasty and healthy grape compote will remind you of warm autumn days. This drink is very suitable for a warm, ruddy cake, fragrant cake and a variety of sweet muffins.