The top spring potato is notable for its high yield. The variety description characterizes it as a somatic mutation of a three-species hybrid form obtained with the participation of the varieties S.demissum, S. stoloniferum, S. tuberosum.
Currently, growers are cultivating two varieties of this ultra-early table variety, which have slight differences in morphological characteristics.
|Potato "Spring Pink"||Potato "Spring White"|
|Ultra-early table variety entered in the State Register of Varieties in 1994||Ultra-early table variety entered in the State Register of Varieties in 1994|
|The flowers are pink. The tubers are long oval, weighing up to 135 g. The peel of the tubers is pink, with red eyes on it. The pulp is white. Suitable for salads, toasting and cooking. Shelf life is satisfactory and good. The variety is very responsive to fertilizer application, which contributes to a sharp increase in yield.||The bushes are medium in height, erect, in the ripening phase there is a pronounced lodging. The leaves are large, light green, with a strong dissection. The flowers are pale lilac. The pulp is white. The tubers are oval, white, with small raspberry eyes. The average mass of marketable tuber is approximately 140 g|
|It shows stable resistance to late blight. Scab and viruses are affected to a moderate degree||It shows stable resistance to late blight. Scab and viruses are affected to a moderate degree|
Economic and biological characteristics
The variety is resistant to potato cancer, highly resistant to macrosporiosis. The average resistance to viral diseases and the relative resistance of tubers to late blight are observed. Average yields reach 55 t / ha. The average number of tubers per bush varies from 9 to 15 pieces. Potato marketability reaches 94-96%. The average starch content is from 12 to 16%. The variety is characterized by good keeping quality - at the level of 90-94%.
What kind of potato to choose
Consumer benefits of spring potato tubers:
- excellent taste;
- poor digestibility of pulp;
- lack of darkening of pulp during cutting and cooking.
Potato scabs and viruses of potato varieties "Spring Pink" and "Spring White" are affected to a moderate degree, which reduces the need to use chemicals for processing plantings. The value of the variety is early maturity, high yields and marketability of potatoes. The period from seedlings to the technical maturity of tubers averages 73 days. The total yield when growing in household plots with the observance of agricultural technology can vary from 32 to 41 kg per 10 square meters. m
When growing potatoes in central Russia, the crop is formed in about three months. To increase productivity, it is necessary to adhere to the following rules for the cultivation of potatoes in a personal plot:
- Seed should be placed in areas after perennial grasses, as well as winter crops and legumes.
- For planting, it is recommended to use clean tubers weighing from 50 g to 100 g, which have undergone high-quality preplant planting.
- After the procedure for heating tubers, preventive treatment of planting material with a solution of copper sulfate prepared at the rate of 1 tsp should be carried out. substances per 3 liters of pure water.
- The site should be sufficiently illuminated, and immediately before planting, dig it to the depth of one bayonet of a shovel and loosen the soil.
- Under potato planting, fresh manure is prohibited; it must be replaced with high-quality humus.
- To eliminate the rust of potato tubers, root dressing of plantings should be carried out with a solution based on 3 tbsp. l superphosphate diluted in 10 liters of water.
- The optimum temperature for the growth and development of potatoes ranges from 18 ° C to 22 ° C heat, and any fluctuations can adversely affect not only the total yield, but also the quality of the tubers.
In early-ripening varieties, an extremely rapid growth of tops, as well as rapid formation of tubers, is observed, and it is this type that is suitable for obtaining an early harvest that is spring potatoes.
It is recommended to grow potatoes in areas where this plant has not been cultivated over the past 3-4 years. To preserve the harvest, the owners of household plots and garden plots use cellars, cellars and underground, in which it is possible to maintain the temperature at 5-6 ° C heat.
After reading the relevant article on our website, you will also be able to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of Aurora potatoes.
Reviews of vegetable growers
A high-priced table variety called Spring can form both pink and white tubers, which are good as an ingredient in soups, salads, and main dishes. This variety, popular in our country, gives out a harvest of marketable tubers approximately two months after planting. Potatoes have exceptional responsiveness to the application of organic and mineral fertilizers. Productivity decreases markedly when planting seed in compacted soil.
How to keep potatoes until spring
Variety "Spring" is zoned in many regions of the European part of Russia, as well as in Siberia. It is successfully grown by vegetable growers for the purpose of early distillation of young potatoes and for sale on the market. The variety is very productive and with good care allows you to get up to 1.5 kg of aligned potato tubers from each bush.