We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Potato "Lorch" got its name in honor of the Soviet breeder who bred this variety. Alexander Georgievich Lorch, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences and one of the pioneers in the selection and varietal testing of potatoes, managed to obtain varieties that are still appreciated by admirers of this vegetable crop.
Potato "Lorch" from the originator VNIIKH im. A. G. Lorch, Penza Research Institute of Agriculture, the agricultural center "Korenevo" is widely known to almost all vegetable growers of our country for its high environmental plasticity, relatively high integrated disease resistance, excellent taste and safety.
The tubers have a smooth peel and small eyes. The skin color is light beige. The tubers are oval in shape. The average mass of the fruit can exceed 115 g. The flesh is white, friable during cooking, does not darken during the heat treatment. It contains starch up to 20%, solids no more than 23%.
Potato bushes are tall, branched. Floral corolla reddish purple. The leaves are light green in color, slightly dissected. The variety has good resistance to viral diseases, late blight, bacteriosis. It is characterized by high susceptibility to common scab.
Advantages and disadvantages
The characteristics of the Lorch potato, as well as the description of the variety given by the originator, allow us to count on the following advantages:
- variety of universal use, intensively used to obtain starch;
- high taste indices;
- presentation of the fruit;
- relative resistance to damaging factors.
When cultivating, it should be remembered that this variety is very sensitive to high temperature conditions and insufficient moisture during the active vegetation phase, and as a result of such disturbances in agricultural technology - the formation of children and plant growth, and when there is a lack of potassium and phosphorus in the soil, the tubers become elongated and not very attractive .
How to choose a potato
Dates and features of landing
Compliance with the rules of planting potatoes is extremely important for obtaining a high harvest. Planting potatoes "Lorch" is carried out in accordance with the following recommendations:
- Planting dates depend on the soil and climatic conditions, the ripening group of the cultivated variety, and the readiness of the soil for sowing.
- The planting depth should not exceed 6-8 cm starting from the top point of the tuber to the top of the earthen ridge according to the scheme of 25-30 x 80 cm. If the planting dates of potato tubers were significantly missed, then planting material should be deepened even deeper, about 2 cm, which especially important when planting on dry days.
- Some growers practice laying potatoes in planting holes. The tubers are sprouted down, which ensures the formation of a more sprawling, and accordingly well-lit, ventilated potato bush.
- Manure is used as fertilizer, it can be replaced with green manure or green manure, which enrich the soil with organic matter and, according to the principle of impact, are equivalent to adding 200 kg of manure per one hundredth. Potash and phosphorus fertilizers significantly increase the resistance of potatoes to major diseases, so their amount in the soil at the time of planting should be optimal.
- In the practice of potato growing, in order to save expensive planting material, presowing cutting of tubers is quite often used. However, planting cut tubers negatively affects yield.
Lorch potatoes extract a large amount of nutrients from the soil, and therefore its cultivation must be accompanied by the obligatory introduction of high-quality fertilizers:
- nitrogen fertilizers must be applied to potatoes not only directly during digging, but also at the vegetation stage;
- it is useful to feed potatoes with wood ash (at the rate of 20 g for each potato bush).
During the growth of the culture, one should observe the state of the leaves on the bushes in order to take timely measures at the first signs of a plant disease or when a Colorado potato beetle appears. An effective protection against it is the treatment of potato bushes with insecticides, the active substance of which is represented by imidacloprid.
Harvesting is carried out 115-122 days after emergence of seedlings. All harvested potatoes should be sorted, and the seed material must be treated with the highly effective Maxim preparation before laying it for storage.
After reading the corresponding article on our resource, you can learn about the varietal characteristics of the Elizabeth potatoes.
Reviews of gardeners
Many gardeners still consider the best old and time-tested Russian varieties to be the best, among which Lorch potatoes are in the leading positions. The tubers are large, even, with shallow eyes, convenient for manual cleaning.
How to grow potatoes
Potato roots do not spread, and the entire crop under the bush is located, as in a nest. Reviews and evaluation of this variety by Russian and foreign potato growers are high, however, according to some gardeners, at present, the varietal qualities of planting material do not always meet the standard.