Mid-early Alvara potatoes from German breeders form a crop in 70-80 days and have proven themselves when grown in most regions of the Russian Federation. According to the State Commission of the Russian Federation, the originator of this variety is Saatzucht Fritz Lange KG. Potato "Alvara" is included in the State Register of Russia and is recommended for cultivation in the North-West region.
The Alvara potato bush is tall, of an intermediate type, from upright to semi-upright. Floral corolla from small to medium size, red-violet color. The leaves are small to medium in size, green. Tubers of an oval form, weighing up to 110 g, are covered with a smooth red peel. The eyes are relatively small. The tuber pulp in the section is light yellow. Contains no more than 14.1% starch.
Taste is high. Marketability is 81-90%. The variety is suitable for processing.
Advantages and disadvantages
Description of Alvara potatoes, as well as the characteristics of this variety allow you to evaluate a large number of advantages, among which are of no small importance:
- the formation of a very early crop and high productivity;
- growth stability;
- the presence of multilevelness;
- excellent quality parameters of potato tubers;
- high marketability of the crop;
- excellent taste indices;
- resistance to viruses and cancer and nematode;
- the possibility of universal use of tubers;
- Suitability for long-term crop preservation with minimal losses;
- the ability to grow the variety for a long time without replacing the seed material;
A few disadvantages include the relatively high cost of planting material and the relatively low resistance of tubers and tops to late blight.
The best varieties of potatoes
Currently, gardeners practice the use of several technologies for growing this vegetable crop. However, most often on home gardens, Alvara potatoes are planted according to the classical, or traditional, technology, which consists in the following:
- Before planting, pre-planting preparation should be carried out, which begins with the selection of tubers suitable for external indicators and quality.
- Previously passed the phase of germination and heating, potato tubers should be planted in the soil, the temperature indicators of which are + 8-10 ° C.
- The soil should be not only warmed up, but also a little moist, crumble well and completely not pester a shovel when digging.
- A good result can be observed during preliminary processing of the soil with modern herbicides, which reduce the time and effort spent on weeding.
- The technology of early planting of potatoes involves not only deep plowing of the soil, but also the addition of humus manure and wood ash to the planting holes.
- Between the rows you need to maintain a certain distance, which cannot be less than 50-60 cm, and the optimal depth depends on the climate and the quality of the soil.
An indispensable condition for high productivity is the alternation of garden crops on the site, and the return of potatoes to the previous place of cultivation should be done after three or four years.
Of the variety of methods for planting seed potatoes, the most popular, common and well-established are square-nested, chess according to Mitlider. If there is not enough planting material, then you can use the method of cutting potato tubers immediately before planting.
Potato varieties "Alvara" refers to a fairly unpretentious and gives a good harvest, even in conditions of insufficiently proper care. To form a full-fledged crop of high-productive tubers, you should use the following care recommendations:
- It is especially important to carry out timely hilling of potatoes in the initial period of growth as a measure of planting protection against spring return frosts. The first hilling can be done as soon as the tops reach a height of 15-20 cm, and the second hilling is carried out after two weeks.
- The first fertilizer application is carried out during the growth of tops with the use of urea and mullein or bird droppings. The second top dressing is carried out during budding using potassium sulfate and wood ash. The third top dressing should be introduced at the flowering stage, using superphosphate and nitrophosphate.
- Potato plantings should be watered rarely enough, but plentifully, so that after irrigation a layer of soil is wetted to a depth of 0.4-0.5 m or at the rate of 12 liters per adult plant.
- Throughout the growing season, timely removal of weeds and subsequent surface loosening of the soil between the rows should be carried out in a timely manner.
We also offer you to find out how and when to water potatoes.
Potato "Alvara" is justifiably one of the best varieties of European selection among red-skinned varieties with yellow flesh. Potatoes of this variety do not boil, and also do not change the color of the pulp during peeling or processing. Taste is very high.
The variety is stably productive, even on infertile soils, which is confirmed by numerous reviews of gardeners not only in our country, but also in foreign ones. When harvesting, it is possible to collect on average 1 bucket of large tubers from every two or three bushes, and the total yield with standard care reaches 295 c / ha. This variety is especially interesting for the private market, as gardeners rarely change seed tubers, and Alvara potatoes can hold the variety for a long time.