Cucumber "Ekol f1", or "Ecol F1", refers to new hybrids included in the State Register for the North Caucasus Region for cultivation in open ground in private household plots. It is the best choice for the production of cucumbers in the second revolution. The originator of the hybrid form was the Dutch company S&G, or Syngenta Seeds.
Cucumber "Ekol-f1" refers to parthenocarpic hybrids of early ripening, intended for fresh consumption, canning or pickling. The plant is quite disease resistant, forms tall, medium-braided bushes with a bundle type of ovary. Fruiting occurs a month and a half after sowing seeds.
Cucumber "Ekol" forms a fruit of a cylindrical shape, with a finely tuberous white-thorn surface. The average length of the cucumber varies from 4 to 6 cm. The fruit pulp is tasty, without voids and bitterness, very fragrant and crispy. The average weight of one fruit does not exceed 95 g. The total yield on average is not lower than 110 t / ha.
Advantages and disadvantages
The hybrid form of cucumber "Ekol-f1" grows and bears fruit well in open ground, as well as under film shelters and in greenhouses or greenhouses, with the following advantages:
- stable yield;
- high fruiting;
- resistance to the tobacco mosaic virus and powdery mildew;
- marketability of fruits, with a ratio of the length and width of the gherkin - 3/1;
- long-term storage without loss of quality;
- suitability for picking;
- excellent taste.
The hybrid form is high-yielding and forms up to nine ovaries from each fruiting node on the plant. Due to biological characteristics, it is able to form fruit ovaries without pollination.
Cucumber "Ekol f1": variety description
The latest partenocarpic hybrid of the Dutch medium-term breeding selection Ekol-f1 shows excellent survival and adaptation to cultivation in central Russia.
When sowing seeds, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- it is better to grow cucumbers on medium loamy soils with sufficient friability;
- heavy soil should be structured in the autumn by applying moistened sawdust;
- sowing seeds is allowed on ridges on which vegetable crops such as potatoes, cabbage, onions, legumes or peppers were grown in the previous season;
- seeds are sown on ridges with a depth of three centimeters after heating the soil is + 15-16 ° C;
- in conditions of central Russia, the most suitable time for sowing seeds in open ground is the second decade of May;
- before sowing, it is advisable to soak the seed in growth stimulants such as Zircon or Epin;
- after the stimulation process, the seeds should be kept moist until the quality swelling.
Sow seeds in the ground warmed up to 15 ° C. When sowing, a distance of 60-65 cm between the rows should be maintained, and the gap between the seeds should be about 15-17 cm. In the first days, it is recommended to cover the crops with film material.
Cucumbers "Ekol-f1" when grown in seedlings more quickly enter fruiting and bear fruit more abundantly. It is necessary to grow seedlings adhering to the following requirements:
- seedlings are grown in separate containers, the volume of which should be about 0.3-0.5 liters;
- the soil should be enriched with basic trace elements and disinfected with special means or intensive heating;
- when sowing, seeds should be buried by 2-3 cm, which will allow seedlings to form a high-quality root system in the shortest possible time;
- watering should be plentiful, but not too frequent, only warmed up water to protect plants from diseases of the root system;
- complex fertilizers for vegetable crops without the content of chloride compounds can be used as top dressings;
- seedlings at first and in low light should be illuminated with special lamps.
High-quality seedlings have at least four, and at most six true leaves, a strong stem and bright green healthy leaves. Such seedlings can quickly take root and restore intensive development. Recommended planting densities of this hybrid form are 2.5-3 plants per square meter.
Cucumbers "Ekol-f1" for abundant fruiting requires high-quality and competent care, which consists of watering with warm water, weeding and loosening the soil. It is very important to consider the following nuances:
- from the appearance of three leaves to the beginning of mass fruiting, carry out two preventive spraying of plants using the fungicide "Quadris-250 / SC". The solution is used at a concentration of 0.05%;
- in the same period, prophylactic spraying with a 0.02% solution of Farmayod means shows a good result;
- to increase productivity, it is advisable to “blind” the six lower nodes on each plant, removing axillary ovaries;
- timely "blinding" contributes to the formation of a powerful root system and stabilizes the yield of the crop.
Shoots formed 30 cm below the trellis wire should be removed. As soon as the stem reaches the trellis, you should make two turns of the plant around the stretched wire and, lowering the stem down, approach three leaves and pinch the growth point.
After reading the corresponding article on our resource, you can learn about the varietal characteristics of cucumbers "Competitor".
Reviews of gardeners
The self-pollinating gherkin-gherkin "Ekol-f1" is characterized by gardeners as forming always very tender and sweet, with thin skin fruits, which are just perfect for salads and have great taste in salted form. This hybrid form compares favorably with unpretentiousness and productivity.
How to care for seedlings of cucumbers before planting
An interesting feature is the suspension of fruit loading, and not their mass subsidence during dry weather and limited watering. The bouquet type of flowering allows you to collect many small, beautiful and even gherkins. It should be noted that the overgrown fruits become quite stiff and completely tasteless. This rule applies to all Dutch hybrids, and the hybrid form "Ekol-f1" was no exception.