Cucumber "Zozulya f1" for a long time deservedly enjoys fame and considerable demand among gardeners and summer residents. The hybrid was bred by the V.I. Edelstein TSHA and admitted to cultivation a little less than forty years ago.
The hybrid "Zozulya-f1" is characterized by high productivity and has a massive yield of fruits in the first month of fruiting. Parthenocarpic type of pollination and early yield of the crop make this hybrid very popular among gardeners in Russia. The collected fruits are successfully used in pickling and canning, and are also very good in salads.
Fruits have excellent commercial and taste. The length of the fruit reaches 20 cm with a mass of 195 g. The surface of the cylindrical in shape of the fruit is rarely tuberous, dark green in color. The pulp is dense, crisp, has no bitterness, with a pronounced aroma. The pubescence of the fruit is rare, complex, white.
The bushes are massive, medium weaving, with bundle ovaries in the sinuses. The hybrid is disease resistant and practically not affected by olive spotting and the cucumber mosaic virus, but is susceptible to damage by white and root rot.
The main advantages of the hybrid form include high productivity, which, when properly maintained, can reach 16 kg / m², as well as very early and friendly fruiting, in which the first fruits can be harvested about 46-48 days after seed germination. It is also possible to universally use the ripened fruits.
Cucumber "Zozulya f1": cultivation
Cucumbers "Zozulya-f1" are recommended for cultivation in sheltered ground using spring film shelters, greenhouses and greenhouses.
Before sowing, the seed should be calibrated, and then soaked for several hours in a special composition, represented by a liter of warm water with the addition of 1 tbsp. l nitroammofoski and 1 tbsp. l wood ash. Sufficiently high germination is also observed when sowing dry seeds directly into the soil. Many hybrid seeds do not need presowing and warm-up procedures.
Cucumbers can be grown both in seedling and in seedling method. Sowing seeds for growing seedlings is carried out in special peat pots. Sowing of seed material directly to the ridges can be carried out by tape or ordinary methods.
For sowing, it is recommended to use light and humus-rich soils in which there is no stagnation of water. Depth of seeds, depending on the type of soil, can vary from 1.5 to 2 cm. It is recommended to sow seeds after the threat of late spring frosts, in well-warmed soil in the sun.
During the cultivation of hybrid cucumber seedlings, several important points for caring for plants should be remembered:
- watering seedlings of cucumbers should be carried out every 1-2 days and make sure that the soil in the tank for growing does not dry out;
- for irrigation, settled room-temperature tap water is used;
- a couple of times in a month of growing seedlings, it is advisable to feed the urea solution;
- the air temperature during seedling cultivation should be 21-23 ° С during the day, and no more than 18-20 ° С at night;
- additional illumination of cucumber seedlings with fluorescent lamps can be used in cloudy weather.
Young plants require protection against drafts and hypothermia of the root system. Before transplanting, plants are hardened. In early May, seedlings should be carefully transplanted to the ridges under the film shelter.
Transplanting to ridges
Legumes, onions, cabbage, potatoes, and tomatoes will be excellent predecessors for this vegetable crop. Before planting seedlings, it is useful to treat the ridges with a solution of phytosporin. When growing cucumbers on ridges of open ground, seedlings should be planted in a permanent place on the most warm day.
Planted plants must be covered with a film in one layer, and when the temperature is lowered, an additional coating is used on top of the film. Before planting seedlings, dig holes in the ridges and pour plenty of water into each hole, and you must first make rotted manure or compost. The scheme of planting seedlings 50x30 cm.
The precocious hybrid "Zozulya-f1", which has a partial parthenocarpy, needs proper care. If the optimum temperature for seed germination is 25-30 ° C, then for the full growth and proper development of plants should maintain a temperature of 25-28 ° C, and also observe a number of requirements:
- an excess of fertilizers, overdrying of the soil, too high air temperature, shading and drafts - all this greatly reduces the number of ovaries;
- Before flowering, it is enough to water the plants moderately every 4-5 days, and during the formation of the ovaries moisten the soil with warm water every 2-3 days;
- as the plants develop, exposure of the roots can be observed, and in the process of loosening, it is necessary to carry out hilling, which enhances the growth of the root system and positively affects the yield;
- pinching of the main shoot stimulates the growth and development of all lateral branches that will be involved in the process of fruit formation;
- to facilitate the process of caring for plants and improve the development of cucumber bushes, it is recommended to install special trellises on which the lashes are placed;
- even before mass flowering, it is desirable to carry out foliar top dressing using a urea solution;
- The use of a nutrient solution based on manure, mineral water and the Uniflor-micro preparation has a good effect.
The hybrid forms of cucumbers favorably differ in a significant number of female flowers, which greatly increases the level of plant productivity.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about cucumbers of the Ekol f1 variety.
Cucumbers "Zozulya f1" are grown by many gardeners and are popular with most summer residents. This wonderful hybrid has excellent characteristics, among which excellent taste and marketability, the ability to get early vegetable products, high yield, relative unpretentiousness and shade tolerance, the versatility of the use of fruits, and disease resistance sufficient to reduce the number of preventive measures deserve special attention.
These cucumbers perfectly sprout, adapting to greenhouse and even room conditions with insufficient lighting. If agricultural cultivation techniques are not followed, of course, the yield is not so impressive, but the fruits always have excellent taste, delicate and juicy pulp, which does not lose crunch and aroma even in canned form.
How to fertilize cucumbers
In most gardens, the cucumber season begins with the harvest of this particular hybrid. It is very early and productive, and that is why many gardeners advise to have at least a few bushes of cucumbers "Zozulya f1" on personal plots.