Potato "Cornflower" was obtained by Russian breeders as a result of crossing the varieties "Chugunka", known and popular among potato growers, with the hybrid form "D-31-88". The originator of the variety is VNIIKH im. A. G. Lorch. Potato "Cornflower" is a novelty, entered in the State Register only in 2014 and is recommended for cultivation in the Central Federal District.
Description and main characteristics
Medium early potatoes with the romantic name "Cornflower" form bushes of medium height, intermediate type, semi-upright. Tops are quite strong, bright green. Leaves of medium size, open, dark green. Corollas of flowers are small, reddish-purple in color. The intensity of anthocyanin coloration from the inside is weak to medium.
Potato tubers of the Cornflower variety are elongated-oval in shape, covered with a smooth peel with small and superficial eyes. The skin color is very unusual, pronounced blue-violet. Seed potatoes have a dark brown color with a bluish tint. Sprouts form a dark purple color. The pulp on the cut is creamy. The average mass of marketable tubers can vary from 77 to 112 g.
The average starch content in potato pulp is 12.6-15.9%. Taste good. The culinary type of aircraft is characterized by moderate digestibility and the absence of darkening of the pulp both during cleaning and as a result of heat treatment. The marketability of tubers is in the range 71-94%, and the shelf life of the harvested crop is not lower than 96%. The growing season is 80-100 days. Productivity 20-48 t / ha.
Potato "Cornflower" is especially appreciated for its high antioxidant activity and suitability for dietary nutrition. In addition, the advantage of the variety is resistance to the causative agent of cancer. The description of the variety by the originator, as well as the characteristics of this potato, assess the resistance to late blight and mosaic as average, but quite sufficient for cultivation with minimal use of chemicals.
How to grow potatoes
Potato "Cornflower" is distinguished by its susceptibility to damage by a golden potato cyst-forming nematode, therefore, when preparing seed material for planting, First of all, you should pay attention to the correct selection and processing of tubers:
- the best potato for planting has a leveled shape without signs of deformation and disease damage and an average weight of 50 to 75 g; in order to prevent disease, seed potatoes are recommended to be treated with copper sulfate solution at the rate of 1 tbsp. l powder per 10 l of water;
- after preventive spraying, the potatoes should be dried and transferred to a bright room for germination or heating.
Standard landing rules:
- Potatoes of this variety belong to photophilous plants, so the landing area should be sunny, and preferably without a through wind.
- Autumn and spring tillage on the site for potatoes should provide the most favorable thermal and air regimes for potato plantings.
- Too heavy soil can be used for the cultivation of cornflower potatoes, subject to the application of a significant amount of organic fertilizer, and on peaty-bog soils this variety can be cultivated only after a good preliminary cultivation.
- Siderata plants are considered the best precursors for growing potatoes, but it is allowed to use plots after planting legumes, cabbage, root crops, as well as cucumbers and pumpkins.
- The potato planting pattern depends on the fertility of the soil, as well as the weight of the seed. Potato tubers having an optimal weight of 50-80 g should be planted according to the schemes 60 × 30 cm, 60 × 25 cm and 70 × 20 cm.
A potato called "Cornflower" grows well when the general rules of agricultural technology are followed. To maximize yield and high tuber quality, The following recommendations should be followed:
- After the appearance of mass shoots, approximately two weeks after planting, a sufficiently deep, by 7-8 cm, loosening of the row-spacing should be carried out.
- If there is a threat of late spring frosts, you should perform a high hilling of seedlings.
- After the height of the potato tops is 15-17 cm, it is necessary to carry out the first hilling, and the second is performed after closing the tops.
- In the dry season, irrigation activities become mandatory and are carried out at least three times during the growing season at the rate of 2-3 liters per bush.
- Potato "Cornflower" has an average resistance to late blight, so you should spend about three treatments per season with agents containing copper.
- Systematic weeding can be replaced by mulching the soil, and high-quality organic mulch will not only reduce the growth of weeds, but also reduce the evaporation of moisture.
It is relevant to apply fertilizers after planting potatoes. It is preferable to use the following top dressing:
- diluted in water bird droppings in a proportion of 1:10;
- 1 tbsp. l urea per 10 liters of water, at the rate of 500 ml per potato bush;
- 1 liter of manure per 10 liters of water, insist for a day and water the aisles;
- herbal infusions that are fermented and used at the stage of active consumption of nitrogen by plants;
- A good means for the growth and development of potatoes is foliar feeding of plants with phosphorus, gamates or nettle infusion.
Potato "Cornflower" is characterized by high productivity, the formation of aligned and attractive tubers in shape and color, excellent taste and high antioxidant activity. The variety is suitable for children and diet food. According to gardeners, the variety is quite new and it is still difficult to give it a full assessment. In the middle lane, subject to the recommended planting dates, flowering is observed in early July. The plant blooms very beautifully blue, cornflower blue, flowers, ripens in about three months.
Potatoes: how to care
It should be noted that with insufficient pre-planting preparation and processing, a significant part of the tops is affected by late blight. Among other things, when grown on acidic soils, potatoes of this variety are almost always very affected by scab.