Grapes "Kuban" is known to many gardeners under the name "Early Moldova". This is a table variety of early ripening: the crop is ready for harvest in about 120-125 days. Bred by domestic breeders of the Anapa Zonal Experimental Viticulture Station based on the varieties Moldova and Cardinal.
The Kuban grape bushes are rather tall. The clusters are medium density or relatively loose, very large, cylindrical, average weight 0.7-0.9 kg. The berries are very large, measuring 30.8 x 25.2 mm, oval-ovoid, with eaten black skin. The pulp is fleshy-juicy, with indicators of sugar content of juice up to 18-20%. Acidity 5-6 g / l. The average weight of the berry is 10-12 g.
Advantages and disadvantages
Grapes of the Kuban variety have a significant number of advantages, which make it popular:
- from blooming buds to the stage of complete ripening of berries, on average, no more than 120-125 days pass;
- fruiting coefficient not lower than 1-1.2;
- high productivity;
- tasting score of berries is 8.4 points;
- fruitful shoots of at least 55-60%;
- resistance to mildew and gray rot;
- frost resistance up to -21 ° C.
The berries are very attractive, dark red-purple, with a waxy coating. The taste is simple and harmonious.
Autumn planting of grapes “Kuban” is performed from the first ten days of October until the soil freezes. Spring planting allows plants to take root faster and adapt to new cultivation conditions as soon as possible.
For growing grapes, like other berry plants, climatic conditions and soil composition are very important.
The rules for planting grapes of the Kuban variety are as follows:
- soil preparation depends on indicators of fertility, the depth of the humus horizon, as well as the number of planted plants on the site;
- the soil should be fertile, well breathable, without a tendency to retain moisture;
- the vineyard should be arranged in areas where there is no shading and high occurrence of groundwater;
- the soil should be enriched with nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur and iron;
- for spring planting of grapes, planting pits should be prepared in the fall;
- the planting pit should have a size of 80 x 80 cm and a depth of 60-70 cm, humus with mineral fertilizers should be put on the bottom, and then a fertile soil layer to the level of the seedling root system;
- it is very effective to grow the vine when filling the planting pit two-thirds with humus, superphosphate and vegetable ash;
- it is necessary to very abundantly water the seedlings installed in the landing pit, and then fix the aboveground part to the supports.
With proper planting, the plant quickly adapts and shows good growth and development. Observing these simple rules for planting grapes, you can get a very good and strong plant that can form a high yield.
Grapes "Kuban": features of the variety
Grapes "Kuban" are sun-loving and grows very well in lighted areas, sheltered from the winds. In order for the plants to be healthy and give a plentiful harvest, you need to know some features of grape care.
- If the optimum humidity is observed, the yield is significantly increased, as well as the growth power of the grape shoots.
- For the proper growth and development of grapes, it is necessary to carry out not only vegetative, but also moisture-charging irrigation. Mandatory water recharge irrigation is carried out in late autumn, about a couple of weeks before the shelter of the bushes.
- Optimal is the use of drip irrigation system in vineyards, which distributes water well and allows you to make liquid fertilizing.
- If, when planting grape seedlings, all the fertilizers necessary for growth and development were introduced into the soil, then in the first three to four years of cultivation, plant nutrition is not required.
- In the autumn period, every three years it is necessary to enrich the soil with compost or manure, which are placed in specially made grooves or between rows.
- For foliar top dressing of grapes at the stage of active vegetation, it is recommended to spray the foliage with a water extract from superphosphate with the addition of basic trace elements.
- The recommended load on the grape bush is about 35-45 eyes when pruning the vine for 8-10 eyes.
Correct and timely pruning of grapes is one of the most important operations in a home vineyard. Autumn pruning of grapes is best done in several stages. Autumn pruning of grapes and other green operations regulate the growth force and redistribute plant nutrition, allowing nutrients to concentrate in the most important parts of the bush.
Shelter of grapes for the winter period is practiced even in the southern regions, which allows you to save plants of high quality varieties and hybrid forms. When growing grapes in the middle and black earth strip, such an agrotechnical technique is mandatory. Grapes "Kuban" has frost resistance up to -22 ° C, therefore it is recommended to grow this variety as a cover crop. To protect the vine bushes, hilling is used, partial and complete shelter of annual and adult plants.
Grapes "Kuban", or "Early Moldova", is described by gardeners as a plant with a fast growth rate, a strong trunk and shoots. Annual and fairly abundant harvests are especially characteristic of this grape variety when grown in the southern regions.
It is noted that the berries of this variety of grapes do not crack or crumble, do not lose their attractiveness during storage and transportation. After complete ripening, the clusters may not remain on the grape bushes for long without loss of taste. The disadvantages of winegrowers include a high percentage of berries with wasps and the need to strictly observe the regime of preventive spraying of plants throughout the growing season. However, these disadvantages are balanced by such an advantage as high marketability of the crop.