Cucumber "Pasadena f1" bred by Dutch breeders. This mid-early parthenocarpic hybrid is capable of long-term fruiting, and the main crop is formed by plants on the 48-50th day after the appearance of mass seedlings.
The hybrid is included in the State Register of Russia and is recommended for cultivation on the territory of the Central and Middle Volga regions. The variety is in demand for cultivation in garden plots, home gardens and small farms.
Hybrid cucumber "Pasadena f1" is intended for fresh consumption, as well as for pickling and canning. Parthenocarpic cucumber has a high degree of resistance to cladosporiosis, and also has relative immunity to damage by powdery mildew and cucumber mosaic virus.
Bushes are fast-growing, well-leafy, with a predominantly female flowering type. The average length of the ripened fruit can vary from 6 cm to 9 cm. The fruits are cylindrical in shape, with a pronounced tuberous surface. The average weight of the fruit is 65-95 g. The pulp has no bitterness and voids. Taste and commodity indicators are very high. The total yield, depending on the type of soil and the quality of care, is about 11-14 kg per square meter.
Cucumber "Pasadena f1": features of the variety
Cucumber grade "Pasadena f1" is suitable for cultivation in open and closed ground. Sowing seeds should be after the threat of frost and after the soil warms up to a depth of 10 cm to 10-12 ° C. The standard scheme for sowing prepared seed material is 3-5 plants per square meter.
One of the primary sources of fungal, bacterial and viral diseases of cucumber in the homestead is the use for planting infected seeds. Description of the variety, rules for pre-sowing preparation of seed material, as well as Features of direct sowing and seedling cultivation from the Syngenta originator are as follows:
- the seeds of this variety are sold after treatment with the “Tiram” fungicide, therefore, when planting, the seed should not be soaked and subjected to additional processing;
- planting cucumbers for seedlings is an excellent way to significantly accelerate the emergence of shoots of vegetable crops, as well as obtaining a crop;
- cucumber seeds are sown when the temperature indicators of the soil at a depth of 10-12 cm will be approximately 12-14 ° C, and also when the risk of return frosts passes by the time of emergence;
- when planting on ridges of open ground, it is recommended to add 500 g of manure-rape or humus, supplemented with wood ash, to each planting hole;
- seeds are sown to a depth of 1-2 cm according to the standard planting pattern 30x60 cm.
When planting, the soil must preserve natural moisture, otherwise, soil is spilled in each planting hole at the rate of 1 liter per plant.
Pasadena f1 cucumbers are responsive to the right care measures at all stages of the growing season:
- at the initial stage of the growing season, irrigation is carried out once every 2-3 days, while about 7 liters of warm water is required for each square meter;
- at the budding stage, watering needs to be reduced, and the former frequency of irrigation measures will be needed for cucumbers only at the phase of mass formation of greens;
- in the first two weeks, cucumbers need enhanced nutrition with nitrogen-containing fertilizers, and at the flowering stage, nitrogen fertilizers should be replaced by phosphorus;
- in case of insufficient flowering, it is advisable to feed cucumbers with potash and phosphorus fertilizers, and also high efficiency was noted when additional fertilizing based on urea and humus was added;
- the temperature regime is very important for cucumbers, therefore, at the fruiting phase, the temperature should be 18-24 ° C.
Cucumbers have proven themselves when grown on vertical trellises. Besides, it is important to use the pinch method. The formation of cucumber bushes should begin after 6-8 leaves appear on the plant.
Reviews of vegetable growers
Cucumber "Pasadena f1" is appreciated by vegetable growers not only for the consistently high yield of gherkins during regular harvesting, but also for high marketability, as well as comprehensive resistance to most cucumber diseases. Reviews of vegetable growers are positive, and many gardeners recommend adding rotten leaves and sawdust to it to improve the aeration characteristics of the soil. This variety never fails both experienced and novice gardeners, has always aligned dimensions and does not outgrow.
How to grow cucumbers
The hybrid form "Pasadena f1" is very early, with a friendly return on a high yield. Very good reviews are received by seeds of cucumbers of this variety from the Gavrish company, which are characterized by compliance with international standards and GOST 12260-81, and also have a high level of germination. The disadvantages of this mid-early female flowering type gherkin hybrid include the rather high cost of seed material.