Potato "Nikulinsky" - a variety known to many gardeners from the Russian modern potato selection. The parent pair of plants is represented by the Mavka potato and the rather popular Peresvet variety.
Description of the variety and its main characteristics are declared by the originator - All-Russian Research Institute of Potato Economy named after A. G. Lorch. The variety is suitable for table purposes, and is also in demand for the production of starch and potato dry granulate.
The bushes of the Nikulinsky potato are quite high, erect, with a significant degree of leafyness of the stem part. Corollas of flowers are painted in pale red with a purple tint. Leaves are large in size, with a characteristic silhouette of an intermediate type.
Root crops are rounded in shape, covered with a mesh peel of light beige color with a yellow tint. The eyes are shallow and relatively shallow. The base of the light germ is reddish-violet. The flesh is snow-white, not darkening during cleaning and cooking. Contains no more than 21% starch. The average weight of one root crop does not exceed 138-140 g.
The values of this variety are: immunity to cancer and the Y virus, high field resistance to late blight, moderate resistance to alternariosis, rhizoctonia, and scab. In addition, the cultivation should take into account the lack of resistance to the Colorado potato beetle and a high risk of damage to the potato nematode.
Potatoes of the Nikulinsky variety were included in the State Register twenty years ago and are recommended for cultivation in the Northern, North-Western, Central, Volga-Vyatka, Middle Volga and Ural regions. It has a good taste and a long shelf life without loss of quality. Productivity 31-45 t / ha.
How to choose seed potatoes
The method of cultivating potatoes is based on strict adherence to optimal planting dates, taking into account climatic conditions, high-quality preparation of planting material and the implementation of a number of agricultural activities:
- The best soil for planting potatoes will be sandy loam soil, containing enough nutrients for the growth and development of potatoes and providing plants with the necessary aeration and drainage.
- Potato tubers intended for spring planting should have dimensions of about 8-10 cm, be whole, completely healthy and unfrozen.
- One of the main activities during the spring preparation of seed potatoes for planting is its preliminary treatment with growth stimulants and prophylactic agents.
- The planting depth of potato tubers plays an important role in the formation of the crop and can be from 5 to 10 cm, depending on the category of planting material, type of soil and region of cultivation.
- When planting, it is advisable to make local fertilizer application and add humus with a small amount of ash to each well.
The quality and quantity of the crop will depend on the observance of all the intricacies of growing Nikulinsky potatoes:
- To protect the plantings from the spread of weeds, it is recommended that periodic deep cultivation of row-spacings, and also not neglect the partial hilling of potato bushes to the budding phase.
- Hilling potato tops can be performed only in the presence of high-quality moistened soil, since hilling on dry soil causes significant drying of the aerial part of the vegetable crop.
- Shows very high efficiency row spacing on potato plantings after earthing up by humus and qualitatively rotted sawdust.
- It is possible to protect potato plantings from the main pests and diseases without the use of strong chemicals planting well germinated and warmed seed material, pretreated with nutrient disinfectant solutions and natural growth stimulants.
- Potatoes need to be fed, which should be introduced not only at the stage of soil preparation for planting, but also during the period of active vegetation of the plant. Agrochemicals that are less useful for potatoes can be replaced with mullein, bird droppings and effective herbal infusions. After fertilizing, water the soil abundantly.
The final formation of a full-fledged potato crop ends with the drying of the tops, which indicates the complete physiological maturity of the tubers. To preserve the marketable appearance of potato tubers, harvesting should be carried out in dry and warm weather. Leaving for storage is recommended exclusively for whole and well-dried tubers. The most optimal temperature regime for storing potatoes for a long time is no more than + 2-3 ° С.
Reviews of vegetable growers
You can hear both positive and rather negative reviews about potatoes of the Nikulinsky variety. The main complaints relate to the taste characteristics of the Nikulinsky potato. Many potato growers fell in love with this variety for their unpretentiousness and high enough resistance to adverse weather factors.
Each bush forms about 9-11 tubers aligned in shape and size, and the total yield of this drought tolerant variety is about 45 kg / 10 sq. meters. It is noted that the tubers fully ripen in three and a half or four months.