Amager 611 cabbage, popular among Russian gardeners, is one of the oldest varieties of white cabbage. This late-ripening variety VNIISSOK was approved for cultivation on the territory of the Russian Federation more than fifty years ago, but is not recommended for cultivation in the Northern, West Siberian and East Siberian regions of our country.
White cabbage "Amager 611" forms a medium-sized semi-spreading, with a raised leaf rosette. The outer stump reaches a height of 25-27 cm. The leaves are solid, with medium length petioles, which are bordered by a plate.
The leaf plate has a length of up to 40-45 cm and a width of not more than 45 cm. Fenced leaves are strongly concave. The leaf surface is smooth or with a slight wrinkle. The edges are coarse and smooth. The color of the leaves is grayish-green, with a strong waxy coating.
Heads of cabbage have a rounded flat shape and are characterized by high density. Taste at the harvesting stage is satisfactory, but increases at the storage stage of heads of cabbage. Commercial yield reaches 5-6 kg per square meter of planted area. Cabbage "Amager 611" belongs to the category of late-ripening and is used mainly for salting and fresh storage in the winter.
Cabbage "Amager 611": features of the variety
Dates and rules of landing
The seeds of late-ripe white cabbage "Amager 611" must be sown on ridges in the open ground in about the third decade of April, following standard rules:
- the soil on the sown area should be moist;
- standard seed consumption is approximately 2.5-3 g per ten square meters of area;
- seed embedding depth should not exceed 2-3 cm;
- Sowing is carried out in a row-like manner with a row spacing of 65-70 cm.
The cabbage of the popular Amager 611 variety among gardeners needs the correct and timely implementation of irrigation measures at all stages of the growing season:
- To protect the leaves of a vegetable crop from the appearance of sunburn, watering should be carried out exclusively in the early morning or after sunset. More economical is watering water in the holes that are located near the plants.
- The frequency of watering cabbage depends on the soil characteristics in the cultivation region, as well as weather factors of a particular growing season. For irrigation, you should use water heated during the day by the sun. Using too cold water often causes a delay in the growth and development of a vegetable crop, and can also provoke diseases of the root system.
- As the harvesting period approaches, the number and frequency of watering should be gradually reduced, which will minimize the risk of cracking of almost fully ripened heads of cabbage. About a month before harvesting, intended for long-term storage throughout the winter period, irrigation measures should be completely stopped.
Mulching and hilling
To reduce the amount of water used for irrigation, as well as reduce the number of weeds and loosening, it is recommended to mulch the soil between rows and around plants. Of great importance is cabbage podkuchivanie, which allows the plant to form the most strong and powerful root system, and also increases the yield and quality of heads of cabbage.
Description of the variety "Amager 611 and the positive reviews of gardeners made this white cabbage extremely popular for home gardening. The good presentation of ripened heads of cabbage, which is maintained throughout the entire storage period of the crop, and the absence of a tendency to crack even when the irrigation regime is violated, make the variety especially popular for beginners and inexperienced gardeners. The harvest is transportable and very popular with consumers of high-quality vegetable products.
Cabbage: variety selection
However, experienced gardeners pay attention to timely preventive spraying of plants, due to the susceptibility of this vegetable crop to vascular bacteriosis and fusarium wilt. During storage, heads of cabbage tend to be affected by gray mold, as well as pinpoint necrosis. It is possible to minimize the damage to the harvested crop by such pathogenic microflora by processing the storage and heads of cabbage intended for long-term storage by special means.