Peach "Veteran" (Prunus persica "Veteran") bred in 1925 by well-known Canadian breeders and to this day occupies an honorable place among the most popular and popular varieties among amateur gardeners.
Description and characteristics of the variety
A fairly well-known variety "Veteran" forms dwarf trees with a height of not more than 4 m with a spherical and significantly thickened crown. Peaches are rounded and the mass of marketable fruit can vary from 135 to 185 g. The skin is a bright yellow color, with a very pronounced blush, which occupies a significant part of the surface of the fetus. The flesh is yellow, not too dense, juicy and aromatic. Taste good. The taste of the pulp of a fully ripened fruit is sweet, with a slight acidity.
The variety description characterizes it from the best side. Trees are quite winter-hardy and fruitful. The productivity of an adult plant is about 45-50 kg. The variety is characterized by an abundance of flower buds, which makes it possible to ensure high fruiting rates annually. The main harvest occurs in mid-August.
The merits of the variety also include a very good keeping quality of the harvested crop and excellent transportability of ripe fruits. Among other things, peach trees of this variety have excellent resistance to powdery mildew and damage to claustosporiosis.
How to plant a peach
The protection of veteran peach from the main diseases and pests should begin in the autumn-winter period. It is imperative to trim the shoots and branches that have dried up and are damaged by pests or pathogens.
Among the main and most common pests of peach trees, striped peach aphids (Myzodes persicae) should be noted. The optimum temperature regime for the development of this pest in fruit crops is 24 ° C.
The maximum number of aphids in fruit stands is observed in the middle of summer, after which the number of individuals drops sharply and increases again only in the first decade of autumn. In order to destroy the plant parasite on the site and to protect the garden plantations as efficiently as possible, Main recommendations should be followed:
- to destroy weeds, preventing them from entering the active phase and filling the areas around fruit trees;
- timely carry out the cutting of basal shoots, as well as regularly carry out the removal of fatty shoots, which are especially actively colonized by plant parasites;
- In early spring, even before the stage of mass budding of the buds and in the presence of positive air temperatures, fruit trees are treated with highly effective ovicides, as well as spraying the crown with insecticides.
The most effective against peach aphids can be called preparations based on cypermethrin or permethrin. It is allowed to treat plants with Iskra or Intavir, which not only decompose as quickly as possible, but also do not cause addiction in aphids.
Of the folk methods of combating peach aphids, the treatment of garden plantings with infusion of tobacco, garlic, wormwood and wood ash is very effective.
As a rule, fruit trees weakened as a result of improper care are most often affected by pests. Peach varieties "Veteran" refers to the category of unpretentious, and the organization of proper care reduces the risk of disease and pests and reduces the need for chemicals:
- after planting, peach seedlings must be abundantly watered, and then mulch trunks circles with a layer of wood sawdust or peat 10 cm thick;
- peach trees are very responsive to heavy irrigation, but it is very important to take into account the indicators of soil moisture capacity in the area;
- timely top dressing of peach in the spring with nitrogen-containing fertilizers allows you to most effectively activate all the vegetative processes of the fruit crop;
- in spring, humus can be used for fertilizers, and in the autumn it is preferable to apply potash-phosphorus fertilizers under peach trees.
Among other things, it should conduct regular crop trimming, as well as timely weeding and loosening of the soil.
According to experienced gardeners, the peach of the Veteran variety is very similar to the well-known and well-established Golden Moscow variety in terms of pomological characteristics. The differences are only in the arrangement of flower buds, and Golden Moscow ripens about ten days later and forms larger fruits.
Reviews about the fruits and grades of peach varieties "Veteran" are very high. In areas with a high agricultural background and normal load of the plant, the average fruit weight in adult trees reaches 180 g.
How to prune a peach
Excellent taste and excellent adaptability to the climatic conditions of our country make the Veteran variety very promising for home gardening. The variety is excellently managed not only by experienced but also by beginner gardeners.